After a record high, temperatures could drop 55 degrees this week in central New York
Syracuse, NY – Sunday was the hottest day of the year so far, hitting 75 degrees in Syracuse. But residents of central New York shouldn’t count on the summer weather to stick around.
Temperatures could drop as low as 20 degrees – a drop of 55 degrees – later this week, according to forecasts from the National Weather Service.
Sunday’s high of 75 degrees shattered the previous March 6 record, set in 1946 when it hit 67 degrees. Typically, it’s around 39 degrees this time of year, according to weather service records. Last year, the high temperature on March 6 only reached 24 degrees, records show.
Residents of central New York enjoyed the sun on Sunday, going for bike rides, walks and playing outside. Many wore T-shirts and shorts as it felt like summer.
Temperatures are expected to drop to around 37 degrees overnight. By the morning, rain will likely arrive, along with a mix of snow and sleet north of the Thruway, according to the weather service.
The forecast calls for a high temperature of 47 degrees on Monday. It will rain at times, but by Monday evening “the precipitation is expected to subside and cold air will come in and change the rain to a mix of rain and snow before changing to all snow with a light snow accumulation at lake effect southeast of Lake Ontario overnight,” the weather service said.
There is now a 60% chance of snow on Tuesday. It will also be even colder, with a high of 37 and a low of 25, according to the forecast.
Temperatures will continue on a rollercoaster ride all week: peaking in the 50s, then dropping to 20s by the end of the week.
- Monday: Rain, mostly before 5 p.m., then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 5 p.m. More rain and snow possible overnight. High near 47. Low around 30.
- Tuesday: Flurries likely before 2 p.m., then slight chance of rain showers and flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Low around 25.
- Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 49. A low around 27.
- Thusday: Fairly sunny, with a high near 48. A low around 32.
- Friday: A chance of showers after 8am and again overnight. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52. Low around 33.
- Saturday: Rain and snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. A low around 20.
- Sunday: Chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.
You can also visit http://www.syracuse.com/weather/ to learn more about the weather.
To send weather information, or especially photos: Use the Twitter or Instagram hashtag: #cnyweather Also, please let us know where the images are.