Delta Variant Spreading + Jane Goodall + 123 degree heat record
LOS ANGELES, CA – Relief is on the way after the record-breaking heat wave that hit southern California. The Angelenos still have a few hot days to endure while conserving electricity to avoid power outages.
State officials issued another Flex Alert for Friday after extreme heat – a record 123 degrees in Palm Strings – which strained the power grid on Thursday. Once again, people are urged to conserve energy to avoid the threat of continuous power outages. Friday morning will bring 20% chance of rain and thunderstorms, according to the National Weather Service
All of this and more in top LA stories.
Friday weather report: The top of the city center is forecast at 87 degrees, 98 degrees in Northridge and a nice 74 degrees in Palos Verdes.
Patch choice: Fully vaccinated employees will be able to ditch their masks in most workplaces, state officials determined Thursday (More on Patch).
Here are 5 of the top news from Los Angeles County:
- Los Angeles County Fire Department firefighters heroically braved 108-degree heat and a wall of flames to gain the upper hand on a rapid brush fire that devoured 350 acres on Thursday (More on Patch).
- More … than 30 pelicans have been found along the southern California coast with severely fractured wings. The injuries appear to be caused by humans, and attacks have increased in recent times, according to wildlife authorities. Officials offer a reward and ask the public for help in finding the culprit (More on Patch).
- The low inventories and interest rates that have driven the home buying frenzy over the past year have pushed up home prices in Los Angeles (More on Patch).
- Dr. Jane goodall, the world’s foremost chimpanzee expert, will be celebrated at the west coast premiere of “Becoming Jane: The Evolution of Dr. Jane Goodall”, a new exhibit inaugurated at Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, it was announced Thursday (More on Patch).
- the Delta-coronavirus variant is spreading in Los Angeles County, and the county’s lack of vaccines leaves young people Black and Latino residents, as a group, more vulnerable to the affected COVID-19 variant (More on Patch).
Featured events to help you through the weekend:
Fun ‘Noah’s Outdoor Explorers’ 2021: Skirball, Los Angeles Saturday, 10:00 a.m., Brentwood
- Calling all adventurers! Noah’s Outdoor Explorers invites you to spend time enjoying the outdoor trails and green spaces of Skirball. Stimulate your senses on a self-guided nature walk, discover the diversity of flora, contribute to a community art project and listen to a timeless story of the Flood told by a Noah’s Ark educator. As you walk through campus, keep an eye out for Noah’s Ark puppets parading or flying above from you ! “
Hollywood Village Cleanup, Saturday, 9:00 a.m., Los Angeles
- Join community groups this Saturday morning to clean up neighborhoods in Hollywood and support the Cash 4 Trash program, which calls on the homeless to help pick up the trash and get paid for it. The 9 a.m. to noon event includes breakfast snacks and lunch. All cleaning tools provided. Instagram @hollywoodsvillage RSVP by email: [email protected]
- “We are delighted to offer our 7th annual Father’s Day celebration at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum. Enjoy a delicious barbecue buffet featuring three tips, marinated chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes, barbecue beans, coleslaw, and homemade corn and cheddar muffins. lunch with our delicious chocolate fudge brownies. “
See more on the Los Angeles schedule!
You are now up to date and ready for this week, but don’t miss any articles posted throughout the day! Do not hesitate to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
for exclusive content every day of the week.
Have a tip or suggestion on how I can improve Los Angeles County Patch? Maybe you want your company to become one of the last sponsors of Los County Patch? Email all inquiries to me at [email protected]