Men’s basketball works overtime to win at CCSU
New Britain, Connecticut – A week ago, the Fordham men’s basketball team basked in 80-degree weather in Florida. Today, the Rams were greeted with snowflakes as they arrived at Detrick Gym for a game with Central Connecticut State University. Even though the two teams only played one game today, it looked like Fordham was back in Florida where the Rams played three games, but the Rams outscored the Blue Devils, 89-83, in doubles. extension.
With the win, Fordham improved to 5-3 on the season while Central Connecticut fell to 1-6.
Custody of graduate students Darius Quisenberry led all scorers with 27 points, a season-high, while junior guard Antonio Daye, Jr. added 25 for Rams. Graduate student in front Chuba ohams recorded his fifth double-double of the year with 19 points, tying his career high and 13 rebounds.
The Rams were out four at the break, 32-28, but opened the second half with an 18-2 run to take a 46-34 lead over a Quisenberry three with 15:11 to go.
The Blue Devils reduced Fordham’s lead to two, 62-60, with less than ten seconds to go, but CCSU was able to bounce back and score with one second to go to force overtime.
The Rams led most of first overtime, but CCSU hit a three on the buzzer to tie the game at 75 and send it to second overtime.
During the second overtime, the Rams did most of their damage because of the charity strip, scoring 12 of the line’s 14 points.
Take away food
• Darius Quisenberry and Antonio Daye, Jr., have scored in double digits in all eight games this year.
• It was Fordham’s third game in a row with 80 points.
• The Rams were passed (40-38) for the first time this season.
• It was Fordham’s second overtime game of the year (Rams fell to UMES in double overtime on November 19).
• The game was CCSU’s first home game of the year.
• CCSU entered the game by pulling 0.649 from the charity band but logs on 0.833 today (10-12)
5 – Blocks by Chuba ohams, a career high.
7 – Blocks by the Rams, led by five of Chuba ohams
9 – Fly by Fordham
10 – Different games to score for CCSU
19 – High career score for Chuba ohams which he has accomplished three times.
26 – Free throw board point for the Rams.
1,545 – Fordham’s all-time men’s basketball wins.
• The Rams return to the historic Rose Hill Gymnasium to host the St. Francis College Terriers on Wednesday, December 1 at 7:00 p.m.
• This will be Fordham’s second consecutive game against an NEC opponent.
• This will be the 37th meeting between Fordham and St. Francis on the hardwood.
• The Rams lead the all-time series, 23-13.
• The Rams won the most recent game, 68-59, at Rose Hill Gym on November 5, 2019.
• Fordham has won the last three meetings and four of the last five.