Mizzou hosts the University of Washington in an exhibition on Thursday
The Missouri men’s basketball team faces its final prep for the 2022-23 campaign, hosting the University of Washington on Thursday night. Tipping at Mizzou Arena is scheduled for 7 p.m., no tickets are required to attend the exhibition game.
• Missouri finished the 2021-22 campaign with a 12-21 record, ranking 11th in the SEC with a 5-13 mark.
• The 2022-23 season marks the first for the new head coach Denis Gateswho joins Mizzou after a successful three-year run at Cleveland State.
• The Tigers bring back three student-athletes from the 2021-22 campaign, while adding 12 newcomers to the roster.
• Kobe Brown was named to the All-SEC Second Team after leading United in points (12.5) and rebounds (7.6) last season.
• Washington finished the 2021-22 season with a 19-8 overall record, including an 8-6 record in the UAS.
• The Bears advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament before suffering a two-point loss to Wheaton, 63-61.
• WashU returns three starters with Hayden Doyle leading the returning scorer with 10.6 points. He also had a team-high 3.2 assists per game.
FIRST SEASON FOR COACH GATES
• After leading Cleveland State to a successful three-year run, Denis Gates is in his first season as head coach of the Missouri Whitten family.
• Gates becomes the 20th head coach in 117 years of Missouri basketball.
• In his three years with the Vikings, Gates posted a 50-40 overall record – including a 39-19 mark the past two years and two regular-season Horizon League titles, a League Tournament championship Horizon League and a trip to the NCAA Tournament.
• Gates was named Horizon League Coach of the Year after the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons.
BUILD A STAFF
• Join Denis Gates on the bench is a veteran staff with several years of experience as head coaches.
• All three bench assists have spent time leading a college program: Charlton “CY” Young (Georgia Southern, 2009-13), Dickey Nutt (Arkansas State, 1995-08; Southeast Missouri State, 2009-15) and Kyle Smithpeter (John A. Logan CC, 2012-22).
• Additionally, Director of Screening and Analysis Michael Fly spent the last four seasons as head coach at Florida Gulf Coast (2018-22).
EIGHT FUNDAMENTAL VALUES
• One of Coach Gates’ goals in developing a program is to instill in student-athletes eight core values that they bring to the classroom, on the field and in the community.
• The eight fundamental values are: friendship, love, responsibility, trust, discipline, altruism, enthusiasm and tenacity.
BROWN TAKES PRESEASON HONOR
• Senior Kobe Brown was recognized as one of the best players in the SEC by earning all-conference first-team preseason honors, as voted on by league coaches.
• Brown is the first Tiger in five years to receive the first-team honor – Michael Porter, Jr. won the honor ahead of the 2017-18 season.
• Selected to the All-SEC Second Team last season, Brown led United in goals (12.5 per game), rebounds (7.6) and steals (40), while ranking second in assists decisive (81).
MOSLEY NAMED TO WATCH LIST
• Senior Isiah Mosley was one of 20 student-athletes named nationally to the Jerry West Award Watch List during the preseason.
• The award recognizes the best shooting guard in the country.
• During the 2021-22 season at Missouri State, Mosley averaged 20.4 points – shooting 50.4% from the field, 42.7% from 3-point range and 90.2% from the line free throws.
O CAPTAIN! MY CAPTAIN!
• Four Tigers are set to serve as team captains in the 2022-23 campaign.
• Graduate students Tre Gomillion, Nick Honor and Ben Sternberg more senior Kobe Brown are all set to take on major leadership roles with Mizzou this season.