Morgese puts Bryant to series victory with CG shutout
SMITHFIELD, RI – Vito Morgese threw a full shutout as the Bryant University baseball team beat Long Island University, 5-0, to win the Northeastern Conference Series.
Morgese scattered seven hits, walked three and struck out six in the first full game of his career. He threw a career-high 113 shots and also eliminated two runners.
The Bulldogs gave Morgese some leeway with four runs to two outs in the fifth drawn by back-to-back homers from Liam McGill and Derek Smith. McGill and Smith finished with a pair of hits.
Bryant 5, Long Island 0
Registers: Bryant (19-11-1, 15-3 NEC), LIU (14-11, 12-9 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, RI)
W | L | S: Vito Morgese (2-2) | Alec Huertas (1-3)
- Matt Woods was hit with a 2-2 pitch in the fifth, starting a two-out rally that was highlighted by back-to-back dingers from McGill and Smith.
How did it happen
- Woods also threw the Bulldogs in the first, picking the start of the game. He would move up to second on a fly out and score on a single sighted Smith to carry him 1-0.
- He stayed that way in the fifth thanks to Morgese. He hit the side in the third and then got help on an interference call that turned a defenseman’s pick into a key 4-6-3 double play.
- In the fifth, Huertas took out the first two Bulldogs by just two lengths. Woods, however, worked the count and got hit with a 2-2 pitch. Jake Gustin followed with a simple left bloop, bringing McGill to the plate. McGill hammered the first pitch over the scoreboard to the right center for a three-point shot. Smith followed suit, hitting a home run in the opposite field to make it 5-0.
- Morgese then returned and completed his first career full game.
- Bryant played baseball without mistakes one day after making five mistakes.
- The Bulldogs beat LIU, 8-7.
- Morgese allowed seven hits, scored three and struck out six in a full play.
- Woods finished with a pair of runs scored.
- McGill had two hits, including a homerun and three RBIs.
- Smith had two hits, including a home run.
- James Ciliento collected a pair of singles.
- Gustin has now reached it safely in 21 straight games.
- Damaurys Rodriguez saw his striking streak end in 19 games.
- McGill has reached it safely in all 26 games he has played this season.
- The McGill home run was his eighth of the year and he now has 36 RBIs.
- Morgese pitched his first career full game and his first career shutout.
- Morgese is the first Bulldog to throw a full shutout since Steve Theetge when the NEC tournament opens in 2019.
- Morgese is now eighth in DI program history with 168 strikeouts. He is third among lefties.
- Smith’s home run was his fourth of the year.
- Bryant has now won each of his six NEC series this year.
The Bulldogs travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass. On Wednesday afternoon to face Boston College. The first pitch is set at 3:00 p.m.