Thousands call for first degree murder charge in Tristyn Bailey death
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida – Prosecutors are still debating whether to charge 14-year-old Aiden Fucci as an adult over the death of 13-year-old Tristyn Bailey. Fucci faces a second degree murder charge.
Meanwhile, more than 220,000 people by Thursday afternoon had signed petitions on change.org, calling on the state attorney’s office and Governor Ron DeSantis to charge Fucci as an adult and murder in the first place. degree.
The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office said Bailey’s body was found in a wooded area in his neighborhood of Durbin Crossing on Sunday after his family reported him missing. An autopsy determined that she had been stabbed to death.
RELATED: What we know about Tristyn Bailey | What we know about Aiden Fucci
Fucci remains in a state-run juvenile detention center in Volusia County where he is being held without bail.
The Daytona Beach Department of Juvenile Justice Center can accommodate up to 50 minors awaiting trial. Fucci has access to education, physical activity, and healthcare – both physical and mental. DJJ officials, however, would not comment on the details of his case, citing privacy laws.
The judge has ordered that Fucci remain behind bars at the Volusia County DJJ premises for at least 21 days, while prosecutors review the case.
Prosecutors with the 7th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, which is headquartered in Daytona Beach, said Thursday they were still reviewing the details of the case.
“They will make this decision by talking to the family, getting all the evidence from the sheriff’s office and the investigation,” said attorney Gene Nichols, who is not affiliated with the case. “You can expect the state to probably prosecute this young man as an adult based on everything we’ve learned so far.”
Another big decision, Nichols said, is whether he will face a more serious first degree or premeditated murder charge. Detective reports, witness interviews and the autopsy will be part of that appeal.
“If the decision is made on first degree murder, they will present all the evidence to the grand jury and allow the grand jury to come back with a first degree murder indictment,” Nichols noted.
Nichols said that while change.org’s petitions show great community support, they have no legal influence on the case and no bearing on the decision of the state attorney’s office.
News4Jax has chosen not to include links to the petitions as they contain unverified information about the case.
Sheriff’s office detectives said Thursday they would not release any new information because they did not want it to affect the case.
Sheriff Rob Hardwick said his team continued to hunt “hundreds and hundreds of leads” and would leave no stone unturned.
Copyright 2021 by WJXT News4Jax – All rights reserved.