Women’s soccer to conclude homestand with Colgate on Wednesday night
BOSTON – The Boston University women’s football team will conclude a three-game home game on Wednesday when the Terriers host Colgate at Nickerson Field. Game time is 7 p.m.
- BU are 2-0 in that three-game home streak, including a thrilling 2-1 return win over Lafayette in the Terriers’ Patriot League opener on Saturday.
- Senior Amy thompson provided the heroism, scoring in both the 79th and 89th minutes, its winner arriving with just 1:15 left in regulation.
- Thompson is the second Terrier in as many games to record a brace, as a senior Jenna oldham scored both goals in a 2-1 win over New Hampshire on September 12.
- First-year student Morgan fagan and second Abigail McNulty helped on Thompson’s equalizer; they are two of the five different BU players to have received an assist this season.
- Oldham leads the Terriers in assists (5) and points (9), while the seniors Marguerite Berry scored the team’s three best goals.
- First-year student Celia Braun and junior Gretchen Bennett have split times in all nine games this season, with Braun having made five starts.
- Bennett made two saves in the second half of Sunday’s win and hasn’t allowed a goal in three of his last four appearances, including each of the last two games.
SCOUTING THE RAVIERS
- Colgate is 4-4-0, having suffered back-to-back 2-1 overtime losses to Villanova and Loyola Maryland.
- The Raiders have yet to lose three straight games this year, despite being only 1-4-0 on the road.
- Seniors Ruby Diodati and Hannah Pinkus lead Colgate in goals (3), assists (2) and points (8).
- Sophomore Ally Giovino also scored three goals, a team high.
- Second-year goaltender Emma Hickey is 3-1-0 with two clean sheets in her six starts this season.
- Senior goalie Grace Poncsak started in two of her three appearances, including the Raiders’ last game at Loyola, and played the final 50:01 against Villanova.
STORY OF THE SERIES
- BU are 9-2-1 against the Raiders, although Colgate won the last game between the two schools, beating the Terriers 1-0, in double overtime in the Patriot League semi-finals last year at Nickerson Field.
- The Terriers won last year’s regular season game against the Raiders 2-0 at Nickerson Field.
- BU opened the all-time streak with eight straight wins before Colgate triumphed in Boston, 1-0, in 2019.
- Five of the last six clashes have taken place at Nickerson Field.
- BU will play its next two road games, starting Saturday at Navy.
- The time of the game is fixed at 12 p.m.